Midjourney Tips and Tricks Thread

Here’s a space to share anything we’ve learned about getting the best out of Midjourney.

Guides

1 Like

Pro-tip: Use /relax if you’re on a paid plan. It’s not THAT slow and you can save your fast minutes. I think you only really need fast if you want to use the max upscale command or if you really are in a hurry, I suppose. Save those minutes!

love this scale - all the fun landmarks. Definitely gets my imagination going on where to adventure first.

1 Like

The island? Yeah! There’s a definite art to crafting the prompts to get something close to what you imagine that you want and I am definitely not there yet, especially not with stuff like this! Still, I love seeing what you get out of the machine!

Originally posted to Imgur: ~200 CLIP+VQGAN keywords on 4 subjects, by @kingdomakrillic - Imgur

Those tell it specific size to output image? Very cool.
I just got my link for the beta, my cousin just opened a local gamestore here and it would be really cool to get some images printed poster size to use in the shop.

1 Like

You’ll definitely need to engage in much more upscaling for a print poster size.

1 Like

Found this very cool tool for upscaling images (useful for Midjourney and beyond!):

Someone put together a google doc with a list of prompts.

Here’s a big list of artist studies, using a different AI but still probably very applicable.

Styles and Keywords that you can use with MidJourney AI

Artist Visual Style Encyclopedia by Sincarnate - Google Sheets

I started using a different AI art generator called Open AI DALL-E. It has one feature I thought you might like. After it makes an image you can erase parts of the image and have the AI redo just those parts.

For Example.
My prompt: A hand painted oil painting of the king of Saxony from the year 0936 in a wooden frame…

One of the results;

I love it! But not the wierd circle above his head or the top of his staff-septer thing. So I edited those areas out and had the AI redo.
This is one of the results:

It got rid of the weird circle and cleaned up the staff, I still would want something else on the staff but I can’t get over how great it looks.

I also wanted to try taking descriptions straight from my homebrew game and feed them into the AI.

Original Description;

The Abyssal Altarpiece
Three large wooden screens exactingly carved depicting deep-sea life. Some fish of the normal sort are depicted but crustaceans, urchins, and jellyfish predominate. The aesthetic of the piece tends to produce a feeling of unease, but the skill and artistry of the creator shine through the unearthliness of the subject matter. It was recovered from the alter of a demon worshiping cult who constructed a temple under the Dome of the Ocean (the central temple in the city of Urb) in 381.

Prompt:

An alter piece made of three large wooden screens exactingly carved depicting deep-sea life. Some fish of the normal sort are depicted but crustaceans, urchins, and jellyfish predominate. The aesthetic of the piece tends to produce a feeling of unease, but the skill and artistry of the creator shine through the unearthliness of the subject matter.

Two of the results;

What I find so interesting is how everyone got AI exactly wrong. We always thought that AI would be able to easily understand literal physical things, while it would take a much more advanced AI to understand emotions. But right now we clearly have programs that ‘understand’ what kind of wood carving would make a human feel unease. But that can’t understand that I want a wood carving with depictions of crustaceans and jellyfish.

Very cool. I applied for Dall-E2 but haven’t gotten in yet. I enjoy the process of trying to figure out what to tell the AI to get it to give me back something related to what I want. Sometimes it’s super on point and other times a lot less so, I’m fascinated by both the things it gets really well and the stuff that it has a really hard time with.

I modified and plugged your prompt into Midjourney:

altar piece, three large wooden screens, exactingly carved, deep-sea life, fish, crustaceans, urchins, jellyfish, uneasy, unearthly, terror, horror, skillfully carved

Here’s what I got back:

1 Like

Wow it’s clear who gets the silver medal

At this point, I’m well over 5,000 images generated with Midjourney so I hope I’ve learned something. :laughing:

Sometimes regular language works well but I find drilling down to the characteristics you want has worked for me, you could add more terms like mahogany and worn/ruined/salvaged to darken and dirty it up a bit potentially. I iterate a lot on prompts.