Terrain Geomorphs

So this is what I mentioned in the stream chat. Basically I was trying to create terrain geomorphs. In theory they can be printed and cut out and pieced together to make terrain maps on the fly at the table.
There are no rivers because I’m kind of lazy and didn’t want to figure out putting rivers that would connect on various tiles. But it might be in future iterations. There also aren’t any locations as I’m leaving that up to users to place as they wish.
It’s 17 pages right now so I’m posting it as a google drive link

2 Likes

I’ve kicked around this kind of idea as well. The problem I run into (and one you have here as well) is that you end up with gaps when you place the pieces together. You need to use a larger bounding hex as your border, but then now you have to match up not only rivers and roads, but also shared hexes. I’m sure there’s a solution, but I haven’t put in any time to think of one nor have I looked for someone else’s solution.

1 Like

Yeah. This was kind of an excerice to see if it could work, and it could but it does have some issues. Though overall I think it could be functional with a bit of work.

1 Like

I wonder if something like what Catan does would work. If you’re not familiar with this boardgame, it uses hexes to create an island. During the game, players develop towns, cities, and roads on the island, represented by wooden pieces.

Catan-CloseupGameplay-2149-Edit

The obvious issue is that, taking down and remaking the map becomes a lot more of a chore, depending upon the size of the map.

Would be fun to start the campaign with a big empty frame on the wall and add hexes as you discover them. When it concludes you’d have a big piece of art too!

1 Like

@bryansmiff true! In that case, you could add roads and rivers using permanent markers or similar since you wouldn’t be concerned with reusing those hexes.

I pondered the possibility of using a large velcro board and and sticking velcro to the back of the cutouts. The downside ofcourse is the work and expense involved. But it would allow you to stick pieces on as needed and take them down. You’d just have to take pictures to be able to recreate areas. I think @bryansmiff 's idea would work better.

1 Like

The Heroscape game has individual pieces of hex tiles that click together as well. The problem is there aren’t a lot of them and the game and expansions are prohibitively expensive now.

1 Like

Whiteboards are magnetic too, might be able to get ahold of some thin magnetic laminate and cut decent sized hexes from it to stick on there.

1 Like