Hexcrawls in GURPS?

Has anybody here run a hexcrawl sandbox using GURPS - the Generic Universal RolePlaying System?

With WotC trying successfully to make enemies out of… everyone… I’ve been looking at different altneratives to DND. The one I’m looking at right now is GURPS, and I really like what I’ve seen so far. GURPS is indeed both generic and universal in the sense that the rules work for all kinds of roleplaying games, from fantasy to scifi and everything in between. It doesn’t use classes or levels, instead it’s all skill-based.

Since the setting I’m working on is a OSR-style hexcrawl sandbox, I was wondering if anyone have any experiences running something like that using GURPS that they’re willing to share?

2 Likes

Great question! Maybe some illumination will come from our examination of the Lite rules?

2 Likes

I loved GURPS in the 90s and early 00s, and I feel like its gritty fantasy could really work well in a West Marches-style hexcrawl, particularly if you’re leaning low-mana. The non-Vancian magic might be the biggest adjustment, I’d imagine.

1 Like

@Katherine the '90s was probably the last time that I looked at GURPS. I imagine that they must have rules for various aspects of hexcrawling/wilderness travel but I wonder if they have, or if someone has hacked together, some abstract hexcrawling procedures for it.