#Dungeon23 Discussion Hub

Today I began the work of laying out my wandering creatures.

Notebook, along with a new pen and some ink, acquired!

Got today’s update done early! I worked out a first draft of a template for “enlightened animals” and created a sample, The Great Boar!

1 Like

Picked up a journal that has a bullet grid on one page and a few tables on the other side, planning to break those out into any relevant roll tables or Key Feature descriptions.
I have an existing hexcrawl setting I’ve been chipping away at and need a few dungeons of varying lethality to sprinkle around. This first one in January will be a dungeon found within a nearby volcano, so lots of steam and lava streams.

I sketched out the dungeon as a whole and it will have 20 rooms (not counting the main chamber or hallways) containing 2 keys needed to open up the main central chamber that is the heart of the volcano. That leaves me with 11 days in January to fill those things in or any custom creatures/loot/mechanics as needed.

Since I’ve got a few days to catch up on I sketched out a few room ideas on these graphed notecards before I transfer them into the journal. The plan is to move from room to room using my whole dungeon sketch as a guide and flesh them out.
I’ve got Four Against Darkness on hand as inspiration and trying to flavor whatever those tables give me to fit this setting. Using some round stickers for room DCs ala ICRPG.

2 Likes

@bryansmiff love those maps!

2 Likes

Those notecards are a great find and you’ve put them to good use! I wonder if they have any dot grid notecards like that.

apparently there are! My Googling found them called “Oxford Dot” index cards, pretty nifty and would probably be pretty handy.

1 Like

I shall be ordering some tout-suite! :grin:

1 Like

And… ORDERED! Though I went for these cards instead. They’re more expensive but they’re double-sided. Also giving this dot grid pad by the same company a try.

Now I’m wondering if there are hexgrid cards out there somewhere. What a weird rabbit hole haha

Update - yep, of course there are

Dammit, @bryansmiff! :laughing:

1 Like

Got my daily update in: fleshing out my idea of Impending Doom a bit more.

That’s cool. Nice bite sized nugget of usefulness right there

Awesome stuff from Todd and Bryan!

I’ve managed to get my first week completed with a background to the first of many dungeon entrances below the Cracked City of Xi’Tel. The map has been updated with 7 rooms including two monster encounters and a bit of loot to entice adventurers in further.

Next activities will be further rooms of course, a wandering monster table and more background on the setting. What fun! :grinning:

2 Likes

Huzzah! Love those photos of your notebook! Great name for a location too!

1 Like

I filled out another entry on my wandering creature table.

1 Like

Dot grid index cards and pad have arrived!

2 Likes

Didn’t get to do anything until late today but I got something done: Landmarks, Clues, and Secrets.

Started to work on my adventure’s factions.

Today, some hex icons!

2 Likes