Clam Folk: your new bivalve buddies

Clambians are a peculiar humanoid society. With skin ranging from speckled pink and knobby like a starfish to slick striped flesh like an octopus.
Having generally 2 legs and 2 arms (although a 3rd arm is not wholly uncommon) and a few stubby fingers capable of manipulating tools. Their most immediately striking physical feature is the large bivalve shell that sits atop their shoulders.
Like shells in nature, Clambians display a range of shapes and types of shell heads.

They are not capable of speech, but instead use an interesting mix of body language, and excited shell clattering.
An extremely useful ability amongst the Clambians is the ability to magically manipulate and shape (mold earth and minor illusion?) a small batch of wet sand they store in their shell. Squirting it out and deftly making crude copies of objects or people to help express themselves. Even a makeshift tool in a pinch.
They generally enjoy drinking, the saltier and boozier the better. To hydrate the sandy material within their shell and to get a buzz. Big fans of crummy taverns.
It’s rumored they sometimes concoct a bracing brew of sour mackerel, salty brine, and acrid tomatoes within their shell. Dispensing the gritty brew into the flagons of any drinking buddies they may have made.
This is known by some as…Clamato.

The average Clambian is about the height of a dwarf but some taller varieties sport an ovaloid Oyster shell for a head. These individuals are capable of spellcasting and always carry with them a uniquely crafted staff topped with a large gleaming pearl.
These are often seen as leaders or protectors.

A Clambian may act as a guide along coastal lands, or may even rob you at knifepoint on a rickety dock in a busy port town! The possibilities are endless!

2 Likes

Please tell me that you drew an illustration of one of these fellows!

I may have a sketch laying around somewhere, but I think the idea warrants a good one!

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s Stranger Things meets a raw bar! Love it!

1 Like