A New OSR Reddit Alternative

If you haven’t heard, there’s a blackout of Reddit going on. Yesterday, I was exposed to some Reddit-alternatives that folks have been trying out. I couldn’t help but notice that there didn’t seem to be an OSR community created yet. Because nature abhors a vacuum, I decided to fill it with a new not-reddit OSR community!

I’m going to be honest: I don’t know how this is going to work. I imagine it’s going to struggle to get much traction, particularly if a lot of the OSR/NSR folks just slip back to Reddit tomorrow or whenever the blackout lifts. I will say that the fediverse (aka Mastadon, etc.) presents a nifty little ecosystem. It’s all a bit disorganized and cobbled together but it is yet early days! If you were missing Reddit, give it a try, drop in some posts and comments, and let’s make the world that we want to live in!

2 Likes

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. And I say that as someone who, for the last ten or so years, has considered Reddit his online home. But the stuff they’re pulling now… I’m not sure if I can go back with a clear conscience. I’m probably going to create some additional communities/subreddits there myself. Right now, logging in doesn’t seem to work, probably due to overload.

1 Like

Really? The site has been snappy for me but, of course, I’m already signed up. I think there’s going to be a lot of growing pains as ex-redditors make their way onto different instances and set up shop. Don’t forget that you can follow communities on Mastodon! I’m following and I see posts and comments from the community hit my Mastodon feed so I know that it is working.

Yeah, I too just noticed that it is in fact snappy, so probably not an overload issue, must be something else. Yeah, the Fediverse integration is great.

1 Like